Over 100,000 pedestrians are struck by a car or other vehicle every year. Due to the undeniable laws of physics (i.e., a person does not stand a chance when they are struck by a moving vehicle) many of these pedestrian-vehicle accidents result in fatalities. Others result in serious injures such as open head injuries, closed head injuries, traumatic brain injury (TBI), broken legs, broken arms, torn rotator cuff, broken ankle, crush injuries, serious skin burns and internal trauma. Injured pedestrians often suffer catastrophic injuries because they collide with cars and trucks. One of the more common scenarios resulting in catastrophic injuries is when a pedestrian is run over by an inattentive driver while they are lawfully crossing an intersection at a crosswalk.
Due to the unique nature of a pedestrian being struck by a vehicle, there are unique legal issues which must be addressed as quickly as possible. Injuries in these types of accidents are usually extensive. The injured pedestrian is often taken from the scene by ambulance and not able to give their account of the accident to the investigating police officer. Many pedestrian car accidents involve delivery vans or trucks affiliated with major corporations. Other times, the at-fault vehicle is driven by a hit-and-run driver. In some cases, additional liable parties and different insurance policies must be uncovered in order to provide enough insurance coverage to fully compensate the injured victim.
Call us on (800) 613-1923 for a free pedestrian-vehicle accident case evaluation.
Pedestrian-vehicle accidents are caused by a variety of factors. Some of the more common factors which contribute to Atlanta pedestrian-vehicle accidents are:
- negligent drivers disobeying the Georgia traffic laws
- drunken driving
- a stranded motorist trying to make car repairs on the side of the road
- changing a flat tire on the shoulder of the road
- cellphone usage
- texting while driving
- Inattentive drivers not seeing pedestrians at night
- Inattentive drivers making a right turn on red and hitting pedestrians in the adjacent crosswalk
- missing crosswalk signs
- crosswalks not clearly marked
- drivers swerving to avoid a pothole or other roadway defect
- Delivery people speeding to make rush deliveries
- overloaded trucks and delivery vehicles
- pedestrian falling into the roadway due to unsafe sidewalk conditions
- malfunctioning traffic signals
- missing or partially hidden stop signs
- poorly lighted streets and highways
- unattended children playing near the roadway
- vehicles backing out of parking spots
- not seeing children in blind spots
- teenagers playing games near the roadway
- inexperienced teenage drivers
- road rage
If you or a family member has been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages from those that are responsible for your injuries. You should seek to retain a well-established Georgia lawyer quickly to protect all of your legal rights. We work hard to get you all that you are entitled to under the law. Once we are retained to represent you, our attorneys conduct an immediate investigation to determine the responsible parties, interview fact witnesses, retain accident reconstruction experts, if necessary, and take all other necessary steps to properly pursue your case.
We earn our reputation for success in the Atlanta legal community every day. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We are proud of the work we do and we hope that you will allow us to work for you.